Saturday, September 1, 2007

The School and Its Problems

I have avoided saying anything about the school until I felt like I have given it a chance, but now, after 2 weeks, of classes, I think that I can rightly say that it is so disorganized that it is unbelievable. The school, being 6 years old, has grown like Topsy. Instead of concentrating on a smaller, better school, the push seems to be "grow as fast as it can and who cares about the education". This is very unfortunate. The school looks good on paper, but, in reality, the education of the students does not seem to be the primary focus. Several teachers have left the school due to lack of communication and the disorganization at the school.

After 2 weeks of school, we still have no reading textbooks. The reason given is that the administration did not pay the bills on time in order to get the books delivered for the beginning of school. The first payday for the teachers, on August 15th, was delayed for a day because they were waiting for the parents to pay the fees for the students. They tell me that payday is often delayed by a day or two, although I must say that we were paid yesterday on time.

The classrooms are airconditioned; however, they turn off the AC at 2:45. The students are still leaving the classrooms and it takes until 3:15 or 3:30 for everyone to be gone. If I want to work in my classroom after school, I must do it without AC and use the overhead fans. There is no AC except for when the students are actually in class. Although the offices have AC all day, the heat does not encourage the teachers to stay and work in the classroom.

My teaching schedule has changed several times in the past 2 weeks. I am responsible for the 2nd grade, from 7:15 am until they go to recess at 11:05. Originally I was then to go to the 4th grade and teach them from 11:05 until 2:45pm. That changed. They asked me if I would work with students in the 2,4,5,6 grades in small groups or individually, on speaking, listening and reading English. The students would come to me and I would have a table and chair outside, to work with the children. "Sure" I agreed. The day I was to start that, they told me that "No, instead of working induvidually with the children, I would be responsible for 2 5th grade groups, 2 6th grade groups, 1 4th grade group as well as doing the small group work with the 2nd grade. I would be responsible for lesson plans and grades for the whole class, teaching 45 minute segments with each 4-5-6 grade class. They had lost several teachers and needed help. I had to say no to that. The English Coordinator told me that she did not blame me. She offered for me to work parttime, teaching the 2nd grade class. I accepted that and this week I am supposed to begin that schedule. Each day that I go into the school, I wonder what will be changed and what I will be teaching and to whom!

The lack of communication between the administration and the teachers is unbelievable. The teachers often don´t know about a change until it actually happens. And, for me, the language is a huge problem. Although I speak and understand basic Spanish, I am not able to understand what goes on in the meetings and although I ask what happened, I do not know everything that was discussed. I have to watch and try to copy what the other teachers are doing. I have asked that anything that is important be explained to me in English, but this doesn´t happen. I have to do the best I can.

This is an unfortunate situation at the school. This being a private, bilingual school, it is run under different circumstances than the government schools. I am sure the government schools are no better, and probably not as good as the private schools, but I did expect more from a private school than is there.

Each day presents a challenge and I will carry forth doing the best that I can; however, the stress level is getting quite high for me. I am coming home for a weekend visit in September and I am looking forward to that. Perhaps I will have a different view of things after I get away for a break.

Hasta luego.

4 comments:

judyinthedyes said...

Hi Sheila,
Sorry things aren't going very smoothly for you. We saw Bob at church this morning and he told me of your long phone conversation with him last night. I really am sorry! I suggested to Craig that we hop on a plane and go visit you for a weekend, but now that I see you are coming home in September, we'll postpone that visit for a while. I hope you don't come home the weekend I'm taking classes up in New England! What a bummer that would be!!! ;-(
Stand your ground and don't let it get to you! We all love you!!

xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila...I so admire your taking this adventure and am also sorry it's not working out as you'd anticipated...at least yet. What you're dealing with suggests even many of our worst schools are probably in better shape in terms of organizing what the teachers and kids are supposed to be doing. Hang in there, my friend. I'm still game to visit this winter.
Trudy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila-- Does this remind you of Delano School in 1962-3? I remember your not having books or supplies then either. Education is our top priority!!!(A little sarcasm there). We're sorry that things are so tough and hope they get better pronto! You're a brave woman-- we're proud of you.
Pat

Saraspeaks said...

Sheila,
I just got to a computer to catch up on your progress. It sounds difficult, but if anyone can handle adversity in a positive way, it's you! Keep in touch. Sara