Friday, September 14, 2007

New York Cab Drivers--Take Note!

Until now, I was sure that the worst drivers in the world were the NY cab drivers. Now I'm not so sure! I believe that the Mexican drivers may take the prize! They drive by no rules, and why leave 6 inches between cars when 3 inches will do? Although they seem to have no rules to drive by, I must admit that I have not seen a single accident any time I have been in Mexico.

There actually are stop signs, but that must mean someone else has to stop, because drivers do not stop at the stop sign unless there is absolutely no room for them to continue onward. However, at the stoplights, everyone stops. Absolutely NO ONE runs a red light.

No one seems to have the right-of-way. Whoever gets there first, goes first! Cars that are turning, just turn in front of cars going straight. And I have written about the topes (speed bumps)---just like my fellow Americans, they slow to a stop at the speed bump and then race to 30, 40 50 miles an hour until they reach the next speed bump, which may be 30 feet or 1/2 block away and slam on the brakes.

Because this is the rainy season and PV does not have sewers, after a rain, the streets are full of water. I ride to school in the mornings with Vianey, the principal of the elementary school, and she drives through water that I wouldn't think of entering. I just hold on tight and pray!

On the side streets and back roads, people drive on whichever side of the road has the fewest potholes. They may drive on the left side of the road, then switch to the right side, and if they meet an oncoming car, the car waits for them to move over. It is amazing!

Buses are another wonderful Mexican oddity. There are many, many buses in PV and there is no bus schedule. They come often and you learn which bus to take by the color of the bus. Also they write on the front of the bus, with what appears to be a marker, the important stops that the bus will make. For example, a bus may say: Centro, Sams, Walmart, Tunel. That means it will go past Sams, Walmart, thru the center of town and through the tunnel to the other side of town.

All the buses are ancient and boarding a bus is an athletic activity. The lowest step is about 2 1/2 feet (up to my knee) off the ground. I have to grab hold of the bar and pull myself up on the step since I am not very agile!!! The drivers go as fast as they possibly can, slowing to a stop at the speed bumps or the bus stop in the shortest distance possible. I hold on the the bar very tightly. Everyone here rides the bus, unlike in the USA.

I would like to describe the inside of the bus to you: imagine, if you can, the oldest bus that you have ever seen, metal seats, paint scratched off the seats and the walls. By the driver, there is often fringe hanging over the windshield or on the ceiling around the driver, pictures of Jesus, Mary, and other saints, holy babies (not sure just which babies they are supposed to be--perhaps saints) and little signs dedicated to saints. Just behind the driver is usually a bucket in which he stores liquids of some sort to use in the bus: perhaps water for the radiator, anti-freeze???? i am not sure what these bottles of liquid are for. Sometimes there is also a bucket for trash. I did note that in one trash bucket were 2 empty Modelo beer bottles. I was hoping that they didn't belong to the driver!

There are marked bus stops on the main streets, but on the side streets, if you want to bus to stop, simply raise your finger (NOooo not that finger! Your index finger, silly!) and the bus stops for you. Also on all the side streets the driver leaves the door of the bus open. Not sure why but I appreciate the ventilation. I always try to sit in the front seat so I can tell the driver where I want to get off the bus. I have not yet figured out how one signals to the driver that he wants to get off. There must be a way but I just tell the driver. That way I am sure to get my stop.

The fare to ride the bus is very cheap: $5 (pesos). That is 50 cents US. There are no transfers. You pay $5 each bus that you get on. Although from school I only pay $2.50 on each bus because I am wearing the school uniform and I ride as a student! In the afternoon after school, I get the bus right at the school and ride it about 1 mile to the Plaza Marina where I must change buses. It takes about 10-15 minutes to drive that mile because the dirt roads are full of potholes, some so large you could lose a small child in it! When I get to the Plaza Marina, and board the next bus, it drops me off about 1 short block from my house. Very convenient.

The last thing to tell is about the taxis. There are many taxis and you flag one the same way that you get the bus: one finger in the air. Before entering a taxi, you should tell the driver where you are going and agree on a fare before getting into the taxi. Most taxi drivers speak some English since tourism is such a big business here. I try to strike up a conversation with each driver in Spanish and have found that most are very nice and helpful. I have pretty much learned the fares so if one tries to overcharge
me before I get into the cab, I tell him what I will pay and so far, I have never had one refuse to take me! Most are interested to know where I am from, to tell me about their experiences in the USA (if any) and are pleased to know that I am a teacher here.

Come on down and we'll ride a bus together around town!

Hasta luego.

No comments: