Friday, November 30, 2007

Tonala

Tonala is another suburb of Guadalajara where there are lots of galleries and artisan shops. Every Thursday and Sunday there is a huge flea market there and Rosario and I spent Thursday morning browsing and shopping. I was exhausted after 3 hours of walking and she said we had only covered a small part of the market! Below are some of the puestos with interesting things to buy.



This man is selling sugar cane---a big treat for the Mexican children! He strips the green off the cane, cuts it into 3" pieces, bags it and sells the cane.





This watermelon stand was hard to pass up because it looked so inviting. The Delsey is a package of napkins and the white things next to it are plastic bags. He bags the watermelon, hands you a napkin, and says "Enjoy"! Watermelon is available everywhere in Mexico all the time and it tastes just like our "fourth of July watermelon"----nice and sweet.


This is a homeopathic medicine stand with herbs to cure almost any disease you can think of! The indigenous people, especially, use lots of herbs but I also notice a many homeopathic medicine stores, i.e. natural food stores, in Mexico.


Lots of painted ceramic is available and it is all interesting and pretty. I don't know where they get the actual pieces, but it is all handpainted. I wish I could bring home some of the pottery but it is too heavy and might break in my suitcase, so I must make do with pictures!


More pottery---dishes and in the front is a water jar. The water jars are really beautiful and even though we have safe tap water in the USA, I wish I could lug a water jar home and set it up in the kitchen. They are pieces of art if nothing else! (Don't worry, Mr. Neat, I won't bring home anything that has to be dusted!!)

Since we covered only a small part of the flea market, I guess I will have to make another trip to Tonala some year! Want to go with me?

Hasta luego.


No comments: