Monday, November 12, 2007

Churches

Since I have been in PV, I have attended several different churches so that I can get a flavor of how people worship here. Of course, most people are Roman Catholic, but I was surprised to learn that there are also Baptist, Mormon, and Seventh Day Adventist as well. (I have a child in my class who belongs to the Seventh Day Adventist church.)

I have included some pictures and a little bit about each church that I went to.





The Christian Community Church meets at the First Baptist Church (a Mexican church) in downtown PV. The service is in English and is attended by Americans and Canadians who live here year around; those who live here part-time; and those who vacation here and are only in PV for 1 or 2 or a few weeks. In the low season there are only a few members, 30 perhaps, but as the season goes on, the attendance grows. There is one service for most of the year but in January they have to add a second service because there are so many people who come.

I have gone to this church several times. It is nice to hear the Word in English and to meet other Americans. After the service, anyone who cares to, walks a block to the Hotel Rosita and we have brunch together there. It is a nice time to visit and meet new people.

The church members visit an orphanage twice a week and also help at the Salvation Army Children's Center. They help with homework, feeding and playing with the children.





My friend, Emma, and her family belong to the Church of the Latter Day Saints (the Mormon church) and they invited me to go with them to a service. It was the first time I had ever visited a Mormon church and I enjoyed participating in the service and learning about their church.

We went to a church service first, followed by Sunday School, and that was followed by a Bible Study. The morning was 3 hours long. They have a beautiful new building and I learned that there are 3 Mormon churches in PV.

The Sunday I went, the elementary school age children presented a musical program during the service. They did very well. They sang, 2 children played the violin and flute to accompany the singing, and others directed the songs. I was very impressed! Emma's daughter, Daniela (4th grade) sang and directed one song. Also, Emma's oldest daughter, Carla, played the piano prelude before the service. She plays very well.


Although not in PV, I attended a very special church service on Nov. 4th: St. David's Episcopal Church in Roswell, Georgia! AE and C's son, MA, made his First Communion. Here is the first communion class with MA looking handsome in the back row, wearing his cool new blazer! Aren't they cute?


I love this picture of MA and just had to show it to you. The family was together for the service and a brunch following at a restaurant. MA was very happy that day. I was glad to be able to attend and share his special day with him.

In the next post, you will see more churches in PV that I have gone to.

Hasta luego.

No comments: