Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving Day---The Mexican Way!

There was no turkey. No cranberries. Not a pumpkin pie in sight! And (sigh) no football on TV to coordinate the dinner with.

A few people did remember that Thursday was Thanksgiving Day in the USA and asked me about it. We celebrated by going to a small restaurant which served typical food from Jalisco (the state I am living in).

Birria is either beef (res) or goat (chiva) meat, cooked and served in a broth with tortillas. All over Jalisco there are Birrierias (places that serve Birria) and each brags that theirs is the best.

I had Birria de Chivo and the tortillas, and I do think it was the best Birria I have eaten.



Rosario's daughter snapped the picture too soon; she is on the phone; but it is a good photo of the table and the food. On my plate is the birria and in the pot behind the napkins is the broth to put over the meat. Tortillas are in the basket in front of me; in the tiny glasses is tequila and sangrita; a bowl of salt; and a tall jar of hot sauce. Rosario is eating a plate of Sole, a thick tortilla with cheese and frijoles that is put under a broiler until light brown. On the far right is a bowl of chile sauce and just out of the photo is the plate of limes.



The kitchen was out in the open, as many kitchens are, and I thought it interesting enough to take a picture. There is a large cooler of soft drinks behind the woman.


I try to be discreet when I take a picture of people but if they notice me with my camera, I always ask if I can take a photo. I wanted this picture of the other part of the kitchen and I asked the ladies if I could take a picture. They said "yes" and immediately began smoothing their hair and the one lady removed her apron and they posed for the picture. Women are the same everywhere!!

Anyway, see the big pot on the stove in the back? And the casseroles next to it. In the front is another stove with a large casserole type pan. Their workspace is very limited, isn't it?

It certainly was a very different way to spend Thanksgiving. I missed my family, of course, and I think we may just to have another special "Thanksgiving" dinner in January when I get back! My grandkids can't do without a turkey drumstick and Z won't forgive me if we don't have a pumpkin pie!

Hasta luego.

No comments: