Thursday, April 24, 2008

Get Ready to Say: Awww!

What am I doing in PV this time? I have been very busy teaching and working.

My friend, who is the supervisor of one of the preschool zones in Vallarta, has started a new program this year of teaching English in preschools, kindergartens, 1st and 2nd grades in her school zone. During the fall, while working in this program, I went into the classroom and observed the English teachers during their classtime and later helped them with pronunciation and strategies for teaching English as a Second Language.

When I returned home in December, I continued to answer questions for them and send information to them via the computer.

Lety asked me to return to Vallarta this spring to see how the program is progressing and help write an addition to the English curriculum for next year.

In the afternoon and evenings, Lety, another teacher and I are working on developing the new curriculum. In the mornings, I have been going to a preschool from 9:00-12:00, teaching 3, 4 and 5 year olds. They have been learning English all year and my job is to assess how well they are doing as well as to try out some of the new ideas in the classroom.

This is my first time teaching preschoolers and kindergartners and I have renewed respect for those teachers! The little wiggle-worms are precious, but oh, do they keep you on your toes!

The Estancia Decroly Preescolar is a small, private preschool and kindergarten. There is one class of 3 year olds, two classes of 4 year olds, and two classes of 5 year olds, and also a day-care room with about 10 toddlers.

This is class 2A and they are 4 year olds. Today there were only 11 students present but usually there are 16 in the class.


I am still learning names but Rivaldo, the little curly headed boy on the floor is "my helper"!


Lucero, the teacher in class 2B, also 4 year olds, speaks a fair amount of English and is a good support for Erika, the English teacher. All 15 students were present today for the picture. This is my favorite class!


Class 3A is kindergarten age: 5 year olds. Nallely, the teacher, has her hands full with 20 children and several who are "special ed" students. Nallely lives near me and picks me up in the morning for a ride to school.

Monica, the other kindergarten teacher, has 19 students in her class 3B. They like to "surprise" me each day when I come into their class. They are seated with their heads down on the table and when I enter the room, they shout "surprise"! Great fun!

The classrooms in this school are very small and I think 10 would be a manageable class size for the teaching area. The teachers have to move the tables and chairs for each new activity. The floors, of course, are tile, and the walls, cement, so the noise level is quite loud.

And here is class 1A, the 3 year olds with teacher, Hilda. She has 18 in her room. I couldn't get all the children in one picture so there are 2 photos of them. Just look at those faces! Aren't they cute?

With the exception of your own children and grandkids, aren't these the sweetest faces you have ever seen? I love the hugs I get every morning as they arrive at school.


And here is my favorite student!!! 6 months old and the happiest baby I have ever seen. I call him "Smiley" because he breaks into a big smile every time I see him! He is the son of one of the cooks and he comes to school with her and has a wonderful time watching the kids play.

I am enjoying the teaching experience, the children as well as the writing. It is a challenge to write curriculum, including strategies and materials for the Mexican teachers, because they have such limited resources. We have to be very creative when suggesting ways to teach an English lesson. Worksheets are out because the teachers do not have access to copying machines. Some teachers have a CD player and can use music CDs in the classroom. Almost all materials are hand-made by the teachers. Not many can afford to buy posters to use in the classroom. It is quite different than many schools in the USA.

The important thing is that the children are learning English. They have good accents and are not afraid to try to say those "strange words". The younger the better for learning a second language.

Hasta luego.

No comments: