Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Goodbye, Puerto Vallarta

The last few days of packing to return home, saying goodbye to friends and "things" has kept me pretty busy. No more teacher meetings this week---just the fun things left to do!

Sunday night I went with Lucila to a Christmas concert by the Puerto Vallarta Chamber Orchestra and Choir. The music was enchanting and the choir sang Vivaldi`s "Gloria". Wine, cheese, coffee and pastries were available at the intermission and sitting in the outdoor music venue, with a light breeze blowing, and listening to the music made for a lovely evening.

Yesterday morning I went back the the Colegio to see the first, second and third grade Christmas program. Each group had learned a Christmas song and sang and danced to the music. They were all so cute with their costumes and smiles! Of course "my" group was the best!!

I was invited to a Christmas party yesterday afternoon for the supervisors in the public schools. It was hosted by the superintendent at her home. She lives in Mismamoya, a town just south of PV, in a beautiful condo on the ocean. She had a musician playing keyboards and singing during the party, and a wonderful comida with fish, rice, salad, mole sauce, and cake for dessert. We ate at tables on her patio overlooking the ocean. Quite a nice afternoon.

I have gone to the malecon and sat on a bench "people watching" and looking at the ocean; gone back to a favorite restaurant; walked along the Plaza Marina where I have shopped so often; and said goodbye to my wonderful friends at the laundry and the very nice man who has made my photo CDs for me. Tonight I am having dinner with my friend, Emma, and tomorrow night with my roommate, Aurora and her sister, Elva. This afternoon I say good bye to my friend Lety, who has been so kind and helpful to me.

All that is left to do is on Thursday morning, I will sit on my suitcases and hope that they close!! Then I go to the airport and wing my way home.

Living and teaching in Mexico has been a dream fulfilled. I have been so fortunate to have had the experience, to have met so many nice people, and hopefully, I have left the impression on the children I have taught that education is a very important thing for them. Also I will never forget the love and support from my family, friends, and church that kept me going while I was away.

Most people here have not said "adios" to me, but instead say "hasta luego", meaning "see you later". They say that I will come back. And maybe I will... someday.

Someone once said:

"Goodbyes are not forever,
Goodbyes are not the end.
They simply mean I`ll miss you
Until we meet again!"


Hasta luego.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hasta luego Dear Heart!
Safe travels!