Wednesday, August 8, 2007

This Little Piggy Went To Market

I finally got a place to live! I am sharing a very nice house with Aurora, the manager of the school cafeteria. (More about the house later.) I moved in with her on Monday and needed to buy some things, so I got a taxi, and, clutching my dirty clothes in a plastic bag, and set off for the shopping center where there was a laundry.

I found the laundry and a wonderful couple who own it. It is a laundrymat but a little different that those in Georgia. I put the clothes in the machine and the lady added the soap and told me to come back in an hour. When I returned they were in the dryer and when they finished drying, she gave me a large bag to carry them home in. The laundry was immaculate and she and her husband were so very nice to me. I plan on using their laundry regularly. They also pick the clothes at home and wash, dry, and shrinkwrap them and deliver them back home fror a small fee. This may be more economical for me than taking a taxi both ways! We´ll see.

While I was waiting for the clothes, I bought a cellphone. One has to wait about 6 months to get a landline in a house, thus, everyone here has cell phones. I am still learning how to use it because, as you know, I am rather behind the times in my technology knowledge! I finally did get it programmed in English instead of Spanish which helps a little!! Slowly I am asking people to explain how to use it and, although the manual is in English, I have a little trouble understanding it. Needless to say, I skipped the pages explaining "How to Textmessage"! I do feel a little more secure having the phone with me.

Next I went to a newstand and bought a USA Today and People magazine in English, and a map of Puerto Vallarta. So glad to have something in English to read!

Next, a taxi to Walmart! I have a new appreciation of the Hispanic people in our town who have to take a taxi to go to Walmart. There I bought a mattress pad, a pillow and sheets (no need for a blanket!) and several other things I need to set up my personal housekeeping.

So much for the shopping. Next time, I will tell you about my house and roommate.

Hasta luego.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog, looking forward to more!