Friday, August 3, 2007

The First Week

I arrived in Puerto Vallarta on Monday, July 31, and began my visit here in typical Mexican fashion: the woman who was to meet me at the airport was 1 hour late! I didn´t worry though because I am used to waiting for my Mexican friends! After a quick visit to the school and meeting a few people, she took me to a quaint little hotel, close to the school, where I am still residing.

The hotel is run by a nice Mexican lady who lives upstairs. It is a safe, clean and comfortable hotel without any American amenities, such as hot water!! Actually they do have hot water, but she forgets to turn on the heater. With the temperature (mid 90s) and the humidity (mid 90s) I actually did not notice that there was no hot water until yesterday. The bed is very comfortable and I am a few doors down from a small store where I can buy water, so I am getting along fine.

My quest this week has been to find a place to live. I looked at 2 apartments yesterday but they were not suitable. Today one of the administrators at the school introduced me to the manager of the cafeteria who is looking for a roommate. She is a pleasant lady, mid 50s, and after a brief conversation deciding on the rent etc, it was decided that I will move in on Monday. I hope this will work out well because it will be nice to have someone to be with.

School here does not start until August 20. Beginning last week, and all this week and next, there are teacher meetings. Can you believe that?? I am not a big fan of teacher meetings anyway but can you think just how boring they are in Spanish?? And 3 weeks of them? I will never complain about the 3 days of Hall County meetings again!

Everyone is being very nice to me. I have met many teachers from the school and there are several who will be teaching English, in the elementary, Jr. high and HS. Actually a lot of people here in Vallarta speak English because of the tourists. Sometimes when I speak to a person in Spanish, they answer in English; but if I use English, they have a blank look on their faces! So you just switch languages back and forth. I am hanging in there with the Spanish. I smile, nod, and try to guess what the heck they are saying! Already, though, I can see a little improvement in my comprehension but I have a long way to go for complete understanding.

I will try to update this blog weekly for a while until I get settled in a place to live and unpacked. Typing on a Spanish keyboard is sometime a challenge!

Hasta luego.


1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Shiela,
I'm so glad to hear from you and know that life is good and getting better!
Sounds like you are having quite an adventure. I'm glad you found a roommate for your time there. But all of those meetings! UGH!! I'm with you on that.
We are in New Hampshire now. Drove up through Bristol, TN/VA where we stopped to see a Bristol Sox game and pick up a snazzy t-shirt for Bob...but don't tell him, it's a surprise!! It is chilly here today...probably the 60s and drizzling. Yesterday and Saturday were gorgeous. We have been doing a lot of swimming and hiking. The kids went sailing yesterday. Life is gooooood!!
Take care and blog often....I miss you!

xo