Sunday, July 15, 2007

Nellie and more information


Today I decided to try posting a photo and since I don't have a more interesting one yet, I am using Nellie as my model!
Some background information about this trip; the "W" answers:
Where: I will be going to the city of Puerto Vallarta in the state of Jalisco, which is on the Pacific Ocean. The city was made famous back in the 60's(?) by the movie "Night of the Iguana" with Richard Burton and Liz Taylor.
When: Monday, July 30 is the date I am leaving. I will be back for the Christmas holidays and perhaps once in the fall for a long weekend. (not sure about that yet. depends on the school calendar.)
What: I will be teaching English Language Arts at the Colegio Mexico Americano, in the elementary division of the school. It is a Pre-K thru 12th grade private school, about 6 years old, serving the middle class and lower class students in Pto. Vallarta. There is a website for the school if you care to look at it. http://colegiomexicoamericano.org/
Why: To fulfill a dream I have had of teaching and living in a Spanish-speaking country. The time now seems right, Mr. Neat is encouraging and supporting me, the opportunity presented itself (with lots of work on my part!) so why not?
I will certainly miss my family and friends and, yes, it is a little scary to be going to a new country, make new friends, start a new job, and have a very shaky command of the language (altho I am sure that after a couple weeks, the kids won't be getting away with much when they speak Spanish in the classroom and think that I don't understand!)
I ask for your good thoughts and prayers for me and for the children whom I will be serving while I am there.
Hasta luego.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! And applause to you for getting it up and running Liz and Laura

Anonymous said...

Sheila,
Looking forward to reading about your adventures. Keep up the good work! Have fun and be careful!
Love, Linda