Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Breakfast in Tlaquepaque

In May I was able to spend a few days with my friend Rosario and her family in Tlaquepaque, a suburb of Guadalajara. They are very special to me and treat me as one of their family.

On Saturday morning, after taking the kids to the dentist, we went to breakfast at "the Senora's house". That is the only way this little restaurant was identified! In the parking area of her home, "the Senora" sells gorditos on Saturdays. There was a line and the wait was about 20 minutes---but it was well worth the waiting! Some folks bought gorditos for carry-out and others chose to eat there at the 4 little tables.



Here is the hand-written menu, advertising the different types of gorditos, aguas frescas, and coffee.




Butterflies decorate the wall of the cooking area as the ladies work. A large jar of jamaica aguas frescas is on the left, next to the carry-out bowls.


The fillings for the gorditos are made in the kitchen of the house but the tortillas are made outside where everyone can watch. The tortillas used for gorditos are thicker than the usual tortilla. Can you see the raised edges as she puts it on the grill?


After the tortilla is cooked, she makes a slit in it and stuffs it with your chosen filling. In the pot is mole, which I chose.

Here is my breakfast: on the left is rajas with melted cheese (strips of roasted poblano peppers) and on the right is the mole. Chopped onions and tomatoes are in the bowl and my jamaica aguas frecas is on the right. Good eating!!

This is typical of the Mexican food that I enjoy when I am there. Many people ask me if the Mexican food is spicy hot. Some of it is but most is not. Hot salsa is always available on the table for you to add if you want to add some heat to your meal, but I notice that most of my friends do not eat their food very spicy.

If I ever get back to Tlaquepaque and "the Senora" is still selling those delicious gorditos, I will be first in line!

Hasta luego.



No comments: